Orange Rice Cake4 Reviews
“This moist and delicately flavored cake has been a favorite of my family at Easter for years. I like to fill the center opening with chocolate dipped strawberries in the spring.” - by Lois Albanese
Original recipe yields 1 - 10 inch Bundt pan
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Butter and flour a 10 inch Bundt pan.
- Rinse the rice under cold water. Drain, and cook rice in the milk over medium-low heat for about 15 minutes, or until the rice has absorbed all the milk. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. In a separate bowl, beat the egg yolks on high speed until they are pale yellow and doubled in volume. Add the egg yolks to the butter mixture, blending well, and then add this to the rice. Add the orange zest and the raisins.
- In a medium bowl, beat the egg whites to stiff peak stage. Gently fold the whites into the rice mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for about 50 minutes or until the top of the cake is golden brown and puffed up. Cool on a wire rack for at least 20 minutes before turning out. Cool completely. Serve chilled.
Amount Per Serving (12 total)
- 319 cal
- 16.1 g
- 38.1 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (4)Rate This Recipe
"I made this cake for a wheat-free friends birthday. The cake went down well with everyone. I halved the recipe and made one small round cake. I added vanilla to the recipe and iced it with a frosti..." See moreng made with more orange zest, the squeezed orange juice and powdered sugar - I definately recommend doing that for a zesty citrus flavour. I would make sure you allow the rice to cool properly before you add it to the creamed butter and sugar. It tastes a little like a rice pudding rather than a real cake since there are still whole grains of rice. So the texture is different but it has a delicious flavour and I will definately make this again. I may also try doing this with apple & cinnamon instead of orange. Thanks for sharing this recipe."
"My favourite! Very similar to something I tried in Bologna, Italy. I leave out the raisins and use lemon zest instead of orange, and serve it with Lemon Butter from this site. Thank you Lois!..." See more"
"this recipe is VERY GOOD — although i must admit i flavoured it with vanilla instead of orange zest, and i did not put raisins in it (personal distaste). / going back a few years i had searched fo..." See morer a recipe to make a rice cake (sometimes called a rice pie) and was not very successful until i searched the web and found this recipe. it has since become one of my very favourite and i get a ton of compliments each time i make it. / my only recommendation, make sure you use SHORT GRAIN rice (long grain does not stick together well) and if your eggs are small, consider adding an extra one (eggs are also a binding agent). / lastly, those cakes often come in a pie shell, but i prefer making a graham base (like that of cheese cakes). it adds a little sweetness but is much easier to make than dough (which i hate making). / enjoy! and never be scared to personalize like i did!"
Williamsburg Orange Cake
Orange Chiffon Cake
Just swipe to see more like this.