Chocolate Mousse Cake II41 Reviews
“Very rich chocolate mousse over a rich chocolate cake layer and topped with chocolate ganache sauce and chopped nuts. Great for special occasions. This cake takes TIME to make, and TIME to set. It's worth every second of preparation, and is a hit every time!” - by Krissyp
Original recipe yields 1 - 9 inch springform pan
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9 inch springform pan, or use parchment paper liner.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, 1 cup sugar, cocoa and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Make a well in the center and add the coffee, oil, 1 tablespoon vanilla and egg. Beat until combined, batter will be thin.
- Pour into springform pan. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 to 45 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into cake comes out clean. When cake is completely cool, remove from pan, cut top of cake level with a knife, and place back into springform pan.
- To make the mousse: Melt 16 ounces chocolate and 1/2 cup butter over double boiler, stir in 1/4 teaspoon salt and 2 teaspoons vanilla, whisk in yolks. In a separate bowl, beat whites until foamy, gradually add sugar, and continue beating until stiff. Fold into chocolate mixture. Whip the 1 1/2 cup cream in a separate bowl and fold into chocolate mixture. Pour over leveled cake in springform pan and set for 1 to 2 days.
- To make the Chocolate Ganache: Chop the 4 ounces of semisweet chocolate. In the top of a double boiler, heat chocolate and 1/4 cup cream, stirring occasionally, until melted and smooth. When the cake is completely set, remove from pan and drizzle ganache over the top. Using your hand, gently press chopped nuts into the side of the mousse.
Amount Per Serving (12 total)
- 706 cal
- 48.6 g
- 62.9 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (41)Rate This Recipe
"This cake is really elegant however DO NOT try to make it without a springform pan. I tried to just mold the moose onto the cake after the moose set and let's just say it wasn't pretty. The ganach..." See moree was not smooth and it squished everywhere."
"absoulutaly delicious!! too die for ( the calories were worth it ) i loved this cake but had too restrict myself from haveing too much at a time- i had to live off brussel sprouts for a week afterward..." See mores ;) well worth the effort - ideal for all the chocolate lovers out there!!!!!"
"I've made this recipe twice now, the first time i made is exactally as the recipe states but found the bottom cake layer to be bland and too dense for my liking. The mousse part on the other hand was ..." See moreto die for. So, the second time I attempted to use brownie mix for the bottom layer and everything else remained the same. OMGOSH.. it was like eating a slice of heaven... i got soooo many compliments on it. I'm making it again today to bring to a dinner party with a few friends... I can't wait till dessert!"
Strawberry Chocolate Mousse Cake
Lemon Raspberry White Chocolate Mousse Cake
Just swipe to see more like this.