Snowball Shrimp8 Reviews
- Prep: 40 min
- Cook: 35 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 30 min
“Don't let the ingredients scare you. If you have a sweet tooth and love shrimp, then this will be the most amazing shrimp dish you have ever tasted. I first tried it at an Asian restaurant. I loved it so much that I looked everywhere on the internet to find a mock version. With a little tweaking I came up with this recipe that tastes just like the original. I served it to my inlaws, and now they think I am an amazing chef.” - by SPAINBOY
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- Fill a saucepan with water and bring to a boil over high heat. Add the walnuts, and cook for 10 minutes. Drain the water from the walnuts, and stir in 1 cup of water and 1 cup sugar. Return to a boil, and cook 10 more minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain the walnuts and place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper to dry, about 15 minutes. Remove the walnuts to a bowl and coat them with honey.
- Heat oil in a deep-fryer or large saucepan to 325 degrees F (175 degrees C). Drain the walnuts of excess honey, and deep fry them until brown, about 5 minutes. Remove the walnuts from the oil with a slotted spoon, and set aside.
- Dry the shrimp well with paper towels. Whip egg whites in a medium bowl until foamy. Dip shrimp into the beaten egg whites, and then into the cracker crumbs, coating them well. Gently toss between your hands so any crumbs that haven't stuck can fall away. Place the breaded shrimp onto a plate while breading the rest; do not stack. Reheat the oil to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) and fry the shrimp in the hot oil until golden brown, about 3 to 5 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Place a steamer insert into a saucepan, and fill with water to just below the bottom of the steamer. Cover, and bring the water to a boil over high heat. Add the broccoli florets, recover, and steam until just tender, 2 to 6 minutes depending on thickness. Set the broccoli aside.
- Whisk together mayonnaise, 1/4 cup sugar, vanilla extract, lemon juice, and sweetened condensed milk in a large bowl until smooth. Add the candied walnuts, shrimp, and steamed broccoli florets, and stir lightly to combine. Serve with hot cooked rice.
Amount Per Serving (6 total)
- 935 cal
- 57.6 g
- 90.4 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (8)Rate This Recipe
"I made this because it looked like a similar recipe to something that I used to order at my favorite Chinese place back home. It tasted exactly like it. The ingredient combo sounds weird but it tast..." See moreed delish."
"This is one of my favorite “novelty” Chinese dishes. Even though it’s labeled a shrimp dish, the main ingredient is actually broccoli and it’s served in a sweet rich cream sauce. If I could, I would ..." See moregive this sauce 10 stars, but as for the rest of the recipe, it’s obvious there is something wrong. (A publishing error, maybe?) I can’t imagine 16oz of shrimp and only 1 cup of broccoli making enough to serve 8 people, yet there is enough sauce to cover everything 10x over. The sauce should coat, not drown everything. So, I pretty much followed the recipe exact, but used 8 cups of broccoli. I did the shrimp a little different by butterflying them and using flour instead of cracker crumbs. For anyone new to this dish, I recommend you add the sauce last and only add what your taste buds will allow. It is sweet and can quickly take over if you add too much. If you’re really unsure about putting time and money into a recipe you might not like, I suggest you start with the sauce. Cut the recipe in half and try it over broccoli. If you like it, then go the extra mile and add the shrimp and walnuts. If you don’t like it, make some magic bars, banana pudding, or something out of the can of left over sweetened condensed milk."
"There is a similar recipe on here (Honey Walnut Shrimp) that I prefer but doesn't have some of the ingredients from this one, like broccoli or vanilla extract. This is good, but a little messy to do t..." See morehe candied/fried walnuts. I will likely combine the two recipes and make it just the way my family will like it."
Honey Walnut Shrimp
Shrimp and Broccoli
Just swipe to see more like this.