Puffed Cauliflower Cheese43 Reviews
- Prep: 15 min
- Cook: 30 min
- Ready In: 45 min
“This is a delicious dish that can easily be used as a main dish. This is a recipe that I only follow measurements on the milk, the rest is by eye only so a very easy and simple meal.” - by STUCKINLAMADD
Original recipe yields 4 servings
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Place the cauliflower florets in a saucepan with about 2 inches of water. Bring to a boil, and cook for about 8 minutes, or until tender. Drain, and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a small pan. Stir in the flour, and cook over low heat for 2 minutes. Gradually stir in the milk, and bring to a boil. Season with salt and pepper, and stir in most of the bread crumbs. Remove from the heat, and stir in the egg yolks, cheese, and finally cauliflower.
- Whip the egg whites in a large glass or metal bowl until stiff. Fold the cauliflower mixture into the egg whites. Transfer to a ceramic or glass 2 quart casserole dish. Sprinkle the remaining bread crumbs on top.
- Bake for 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until puffed and golden.
Amount Per Serving (4 total)
- 382 cal
- 27.9 g
- 15.8 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (43)Rate This Recipe
"This was really quite good. I would give it 4 1/2 stars if I could. It wasn't over the top, but it has the potential to be so. It's not difficult at all. Just a couple of minutes more than making ..." See morea simple cheese sauce would have taken. I had frozen cauliflower that I was looking for a new way to prepare, and although fresh would probably have been tastier, frozen worked just fine. I just let it thaw and drain in a colander and skipped the blanching process. I did soften some minced shallots in the butter before adding the flour, used garlic seasoned bread crumbs, threw in a slice of pepper jack cheese along with the cheddar, and topped with cheddar flavored french fried onions. I wouldn't mess with the original recipe too much, but the next time (and I will make this again---even hubby liked it) I plan to add a little bacon. Probably some store-bought bacon bits in a jar. After all, I don't know anything that isn't better with bacon."
LITTLE OREGON GIRL
"This was really good. Used half broccoli, half cauliflower. Added an extra 1/4C cheese. Also added one chopped shallot, which really made a good flavor difference. Next time I think I may add either d..." See moreiced ham or bacon, as the flavors would really compliment it. Thanks!"
Cauliflower Au Gratin
Just swipe to see more like this.