Fresh Asparagus and Chicken Casserole142 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 45 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 15 min
“Great in the spring when asparagus first comes in and you can get it fresh.” - by KMSMOKEY
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish.
- Cook noodles in a large pot of boiling water for 5 minutes, or until almost tender. Drain, and rinse under cold water.
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat. Cook onion for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add chicken, red bell pepper, celery, and chicken stock. Bring to a boil, and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in sour cream and oregano.
- Spread half of the chicken mixture into the prepared dish. Arrange the asparagus over the chicken, spread cooked noodles evenly over the asparagus, and top with 5 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese. Cover with the remaining chicken mixture. Sprinkle with the reserved Parmesan cheese.
- Bake 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until lightly brown.
Amount Per Serving (6 total)
- 374 cal
- 20 g
- 32.5 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (142)Rate This Recipe
"This is a great meal when slightly altered, even my picky hubby liked it. I boiled the chicken to cook it, and added 2 boulion cubes. I used that as my chicken stock. I also boiled the asparagus fo..." See morer a few minutes in the stock, before adding it to the mix. I sauted the celery with the onion and added 2 cloves of garlic. I also added salt, pepper and basil along with the oregeno. My biggest diversion from the recipe was the addition of cream of mushroom. When I added the sour cream, it became very grainy and watery, so the cream of mushroom definitely helped. I think any cream of would do. I mixed everything together, and didn't layer it as described. finally, I topped it with a fancy shredded parm and romano."
"I thought this was a great recipe except I made a few changes to what I had on hand and what we prefer. I omitted the peppers and celery since I didn't have any and replaced with chopped onion, sundr..." See moreied tomatoes and mushroom. sauteed all veggies in olive oil (including the asparagus) and fresh chopped garlic, red pepper flakes before adding to sr.cream mixture. substituted 1/4 cooking wine & 3/4 cup broth. added can of cream of chicken soup with sour cream to give more sauce, I didn't think the sour cream would be enough and would dry up while cooking. I also substituted 1/2 cup basil (or cilantro) for oregano because those spices are our favorites and oregano is pretty bland. I also added some monterey jack and some crushed french fried onions to the top after putting it all together in the pan, I used a 9x13 casserole dish. This was one of the best dishes I've ever made and will certainly make it many times in the future. My husband also loved it."
"Everyone loved this dish. It does take quite a bit time to prep the dish but well worth it. I made it a little easier by just mixing the sauce with the noodles and pouring it into the casserole dish..." See more. I then just cut up the asparagus and stuck the pieces into the casserole. This is a yummy casserole!!! I used fat reduced sourcream and wholegrain egg noodles."
Cream of Fresh Asparagus Soup II
Asparagus, Chicken and Penne Pasta
Just swipe to see more like this.