Upside Down Chicken Rice21 Reviews
- Prep: 45 min
- Ready In: 45 min
“This is a Mediterranean recipe. You can make it with carrots, rose flower or eggplant. I explain it using carrots. Serve the rice with a salad or plain yogurt.” - by ROSE90
Original recipe yields 12 servings
- Trim any fat off the chicken and wash with water. Place the chicken, onion, cinnamon sticks, and carrots in a pot; fill with water, and boil until the chicken and carrots are done. Reserve the broth, chicken, and carrots.
- Remove bones from chicken. Warm 1 1/4 cup canola oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Place chicken and carrots in the pot; fry for 2 minutes.
- In a bowl, stir together the rice, ground cinnamon, pepper, and salt. Pour the rice mixture evenly across the top of the chicken without stirring into the chicken. Pour in the chicken broth. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium, and simmer until rice is tender, 20 to 35 minutes.
- Heat 1/2 cup canola oil in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in chopped almonds, and fry until golden. Remove almonds to paper towels, and drain oil.
- Heat 1/4 cup canola oil in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in pine nuts, and cook until golden. Drain oil, and remove pine nuts to paper towels.
- Over a large dish or tray, flip the rice pot upside down, and release the contents onto the tray or dish. Arrange the almonds and pine nuts on top.
Amount Per Serving (12 total)
- 777 cal
- 44.5 g
- 64.1 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (21)Rate This Recipe
"SOOO good. About half way through dinner, my 4 year old asked whether we can have this again. I made a few changes: I sauted the onion in a bit of oil first and then added chicken breasts, carrots a..." See morend broth. When it came time to fry the chicken and carrots for 2 mins, I did it in about a teaspoon of oil instead of one and a quarter cups. (I used a slotted spoon to get most of the chicken and carrots out, fried them and then put them back into the pot with the broth.) I layered the rice and seasoning mixture on top of that. I also added about a cup of frozen peas, and they worked really well with the recipe. I toasted the almonds in the toaster oven instead of in the oil. My modifications did change the overall presentation (more "mixed" chicken and rice than "upside down") but I cut almost 2 cups of oil from the recipe. And it was still really really good."
"The ratio of rice to liquid is way off. Even though I knew better, I went ahead and followed the recipe using 4 cups of rice. After 30 min. the rice wasn't even close to being done. I added several cu..." See moreps of chicken stock, another onion, 1 cup of chopped celery and more cinnamon to fix it. I had an enormous pot of chicken and rice to deal with. It actually tasted good, so next time I will use 2 and 1/2 cups of rice instead."
Singapore Chicken Rice
Rice and Chicken Casserole
Just swipe to see more like this.