Greek Lamb-Feta Burgers With Cucumber Sauce49 Reviews
“These grilled lamb burgers are served with slices of ripe tomatoes and red onion in pita bread with a fresh tasting cucumber sauce seasoned with fresh mint and garlic.” - by USA WEEKEND columnist Pam Anderson
Original recipe yields 4 servings
- Set 4 whole garlic cloves in a small skillet over medium-high heat; toast until spotty brown, about 5 minutes. Peel, mince and set aside.
- Break up lamb in a medium bowl. Sprinkle roasted garlic, feta, oregano, salt and pepper over meat; stir with a fork to combine. Divide into 4 portions. Toss meat back and forth between cupped hands to form a ball. Pat with fingertips to flatten to about 4 inches wide. Refrigerate.
- Mix cucumber, sour cream, mint, vinegar, 1 minced clove of garlic, and salt and pepper to taste in a small bowl. Refrigerate sauce until ready to serve.
- Build a hot fire on one side of grill. Replace rack. When coals are covered with white ash, add burgers. Cover and cook, turning only once, until done, about 4 to 5 minutes per side for medium to medium-well burgers.
- Grill pitas until spotty brown and warm, a minute or so per side. Split crosswise. Spread a couple of tablespoons of sauce over 4 pita halves. Top each with an onion slice, a tomato slice and a burger. Spread a portion of the remaining sauce over each burger. Top with remaining pita halves.
Amount Per Serving (4 total)
- 654 cal
- 46.8 g
- 26.2 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (49)Rate This Recipe
"This is by far one of the best recipes on this site. I'm obsessed with it. My changes: I use plain yogurt instead of sour cream, I use a whole pita and just fold it over on itself instead of using 2..." See more halves (brush it with olive oil and sprinkle garlic salt), I break up the burger into chunks, and I top the gyro with lots of feta! YUM. Just make sure you plan ahead since some stores won't have the ground lamb. Serve it with couscous and the Easy Roasted Red Pepper Hummus recipe on this site. "
"Awesome! Both the lamb patties & the sauce are excellent! I did swap out fresh dill for the mint in the cucumber sauce. ..." See more"
Rosemary-Scented Pork Loin Stuffed With Roasted Garlic, Dried Apricots and Cranberries and Port Wine Pan Sauce
Stir-Fry Broccoli With Orange Sauce
Just swipe to see more like this.