Tomato Zucchini Casserole224 Reviews
- Prep: 20 min
- Cook: 55 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 15 min
“A simple vegetable dish that highlights the summer flavors of fresh tomatoes and zucchini. It goes great with grilled meats or poultry.” - by DELTAQUEEN50
Original recipe yields 4 Servings
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly butter a 9x9-inch pan.
- In a large bowl, combine Cheddar, Parmesan, oregano, basil, and garlic. Season with salt and pepper, and set aside.
- Arrange half of the zucchini slices in the pan. Sprinkle 1/4 of the cheese and herb mixture on top. Arrange half of the tomatoes, and top with another 1/4 of the cheese mixture. Repeat layers.
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in onions, and cook until soft and translucent. Stir in breadcrumbs; cook until they have absorbed the butter. Sprinkle on top of casserole.
- Cover loosely with foil, and bake in a preheated oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil, and bake until the top is crusty and the vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
Amount Per Serving (4 total)
- 467 cal
- 32.6 g
- 23.9 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (224)Rate This Recipe
"I've made this so many times now I no longer need the recipe. Changes I've made: I always use mozzarella instead of cheddar and I use fresh basil, and plenty of it, instead of the dried. This makes ..." See morea HUGE difference. Just chop or tear it in pieces and sprinkle it liberally over each layer. I use beefsteak tomatoes and let the slices rest on paper towel to drain a while before placing them in the dish so it doesn't become too watery. Also, I use a little bit more garlic and cheese than the recipe calls for. This has become one of our favorite Italian dinner side dishes, and it really does go very well with grilled meats. It's easy and so delicious! An excellent Summertime side dish!"
"My family really loved this recipe! When preparing the recipe, I 1st sliced all the tomatoes & layed them out on several layers of paper towels on a cookie sheet to drain. Usually tomato recipes lik..." See moree this are runny but his tip from another reviewer really helped. Also, instead of adding salt & pepper to the cheese mixture I sprinked them lightly on each layer of vegetables as I went. I used fresh basil & oregano. When the casserole is finished cooking allow it to cool & set-up for about 10-15 min. We had this with grilled Italian sausage & a crusty loaf of bread!"
"This dish is excellent. If you have lots of tomatoes and zucchini in the garden, this makes for an excellent side dish. I make it almost every night. Goes great with everything. Instead of cheddar..." See more cheese, I prefer to use mozzarella. I also grow yellow and orange tomatoes in my garden and alternate red and yellow or orange, which makes the presentation beautiful. I server this dish as much as I can throughout the summer and it is a hit with everyone I share it with."
Cheesy Squash and Zucchini Casserole
Zucchini Casserole with Fontina Cheese
Just swipe to see more like this.