Tofu and Rice Stuffed Peppers51 Reviews
- Prep: 25 min
- Cook: 1 hr 10 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 35 min
“Italian style stuffed bell peppers for the vegetarian (can easily be prepared vegan). Even my meat-eating husband loved these.” - by N1COLE
Original recipe yields 4 servings
- Place rice and water in a pot and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 45 minutes, or until tender.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat, and stir in garlic and tofu. Cook about 5 minutes. Mix in 1/4 cup marinara sauce, season with salt and pepper, and continue to cook and stir until tofu is evenly brown.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Using a wooden spoon or spatula, press an equal amount of rice into each pepper half. Layer rice with remaining marinara sauce, and 1/2 the cheese. Press equal amounts of tofu into the pepper halves. Place 1 tomato slice on each pepper, and top peppers with remaining mozzarella. Arrange stuffed peppers in a baking dish.
- Bake 25 minutes in the preheated oven, until cheese is melted. Serve 1/2 of each color pepper to each person.
Amount Per Serving (4 total)
- 554 cal
- 25 g
- 56.1 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (51)Rate This Recipe
"I made a few additions as the mixture needed more flavour - used more garlic, added a handful of fresh shredded basil, chili flakes and 1/2 cup white wine to the tofu mixture while it was simmering. I..." See more mixed the rice, tofu mix and marinara sauce together and then put it into the peppers, and topped with cheese. There was lots of filling, probably twice as much as I needed - maybe my peppers were too small. Made a great vegetable side dish that I served with baked salmon fillets. "
Chris From Kent, WA
"This is absolutely delicious. What an awesome recipe. So flavorful that even my meat eating husband loved it. The only change I made was that I replaced the marinara sauce and fresh tomatoes with a..." See more can of Del Monte Diced Tomates and Garlic which I had on hand. I'm glad I did because it seemed to bring out the flavor of the veggies and tofu even more. Try this recipe and I'm sure you'll make it over and over again."
"I thought this was a good one, only changed a few things to cut down on time: Used packaged long grain rice (saved 20 minutes!)and only made half of the recipe. Cooked the tofu with chopped onions ins..." See moretead (no garlic on hand- 1st time ever, I swear!)It looked beautiful and with a simple salad it was a very filling meal. I'd like to try this with couscous next time. Oh, of course, the meat preferring hubby liked it too> But then, he's just cool like that."
Stuffed Peppers My Way
Chicken Wild Rice Stuffed Red Peppers
Just swipe to see more like this.