Baked Eggplant Sandwiches11 Reviews
- Prep: 15 min
- Cook: 30 min
- Ready In: 45 min
“There are sandwiches, there are sandwiches with eggplant... and there are Eggplant Sandwiches! Who needs bread anyway?” - by JOENAUJOKAS
Original recipe yields 4 servings
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C). Coat two large baking sheets with olive oil.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the panko crumbs, salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. In another bowl, whisk together the egg and water. Place the flour in a third bowl. Coat each slice of eggplant with flour, shaking off the excess, then dip into the egg, and finally coat with panko crumbs. Place on the oiled baking sheets.
- Bake for 12 minutes in the preheated oven, then turn over the slices and bake for an additional 12 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and cool slightly, but leave the oven on.
- While the eggplant is baking, heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion; cook and stir until almost tender, then add the garlic. Cook for just about 1 minute. Remove from the heat and stir in the goat cheese, provolone cheese, parsley and basil. Season with pepper.
- Divide the cheese mixture among 8 slices of the eggplant (half). Spread to cover, then top with remaining eggplant slices, pressing to compact. Return to the baking sheets.
- Bake in the preheated oven until eggplant is crisp, about 15 minutes. Place two sandwiches onto each serving plate, and drizzle with pomegranate molasses.
Amount Per Serving (4 total)
- 620 cal
- 29.7 g
- 74.1 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (11)Rate This Recipe
"I couldn't find any pomegranate molasses (where do you get that?), but followed the recipe otherwise exactly. They were wonderful! I will make again, except I think I will either cut the salt in hal..." See moref or eliminate completely to test (they weren't too salty, but I'll try to eliminate the salt & see if it doesn't sacrifice any flavor). Thank you!"
"Pomegranate molasses is tangy not sweet, so cannot be replaced with any other molasses. I would replace it with tamarind soaked in water or balsamic vinegar if I don't have pomegranate molasses. Also,..." See more Halloumi cheese (which is goat cheese) goes well with eggplant not any other type of goat cheese. If I don't have halloumi cheese, I would use mozzarella cheese not a goat cheese."
Baked Eggplant Antipasto
Just swipe to see more like this.