Vegetarian Kofta Kabobs13 Reviews
- Cook: 25 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 25 min
“This makes a spicy and healthy version of one of my favorite dishes. Serve with tabbouleh, pita bread and olives for a wonderful feast. Black beans or chickpeas can be substituted for adzuki beans. Adjust hot sauce and garlic to your tastes.” - by sienna
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Combine the bulgur wheat and vegetable stock in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, then simmer for about 10 minutes, or until liquid has been absorbed. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the adzuki beans, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, onion, garlic, cumin, coriander, cilantro, hot sauce, and the egg. Mash with a potato masher or sturdy whisk until fairly smooth. Soak the bread in milk, then squeeze out the excess; add to the bean mixture along with the bulgur. Mix using your hands until everything is well blended. Cover, and refrigerate for 1 hour, or until firm.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- Wet your hands, and form the kofta into 32 oval shapes. Press onto skewers four at a time. Brush with remaining olive oil. Place on a baking sheet or broiling pan.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Turn over, brush again with oil, and continue baking for 5 to 10 minutes, until crispy.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 311 cal
- 6.4 g
- 56.6 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (13)Rate This Recipe
"Very good. I couldn't find adzuki beans which didn't really surprise me but I found online that red kidneys are an acceptable substitute. They were pretty hard to crush though. Next time I may put ..." See morethem in the food processor before adding them in with the other ingredients. I think my kofta balls would have stayed together better if I'd gotten the beans mashed better. I served this with a quick yogurt sauce that I just made up as I went (yogurt, cumin, cayene, and salt). Very good."
"I really liked this! I soaked/cooked my adzukis - they take less time than other beans. I used extra garlic and hot sauce and they came out perfect. I squashed mine like small cookies - no skewers, an..." See mored froze the leftovers. (I tried a few as larger patties and they didn't survive the flipping.) A yogurt dip is essential. This made for a very inexpensive and yummy meal!"
Vegetarian Meatloaf with Vegetables
Just swipe to see more like this.