Baked Fennel with Gorgonzola3 Reviews
“This make ahead dish will impress your guests, and is simple to prepare. You don't need to tell them how simple. Originally submitted to ThanksgivingRecipe.com.” - by Christine L.
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Rinse fennel. Trim off stems, and reserve about 1 cup of the tender green leaves. Trim any bruises or dry looking areas from fennel. Cut each bulb in half from stem through root end.
- Lay fennel bulb pieces in a 10 inch frying pan, and add broth. Cover, and bring to a boil on high heat. Simmer until fennel is tender when pierced, 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer fennel to a shallow casserole, 9 to 10 inched wide; lay cut side up.
- Boil broth, uncovered, on high heat until reduced to about 1/2 cup. Stir in about half the fennel leaves. Spoon mixture evenly over fennel.
- Mash cheese with bread crumbs. Dot mixture evenly over fennel. If making ahead, cover and chill up to 1 day. Also wrap remaining fennel leaves in a towel, seal in a plastic bag, and chill.
- Bake casserole, uncovered, at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) until cheese begins to brown and fennel is hot, about 20 minutes. Tuck remaining leaves around fennel. Season to taste with salt.
Amount Per Serving (8 total)
- 101 cal
- 4.7 g
- 10.3 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (3)Rate This Recipe
"The blue cheese/bread crumb mixture didn't melt into the fennel as I was expecting at all -- it just lay there on top. The fennel was okay. I'll look for another recipe for fennel...." See more"
"Everyone at the family thanksgiving were impressed and it was so simple to make...." See more"
Baked Rigatoni with Italian Sausage and Fennel
Fennel in Wine and Honey
Just swipe to see more like this.