Creamed Onions and Sage28 Reviews
“Tender, sweet, creamy onions fragrant with the scent and taste of sage.” - by Erika Michael
Original recipe yields 10 cups
- Peel onions and trim slightly at the top and bottom. Boil the onions gently in salted water until tender (about 30 minutes).
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Butter one shallow baking dish.
- Saute the sliced mushrooms in the butter or margarine. Stir in the flour. Stir in the half and half or milk, salt, sage, 1/2 of the lemon peel and all of the lemon juice. Cook, stirring over medium heat until sauce thickens.
- Place the cooked onions in the prepared baking dish and pour the mushroom sauce over them.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for about 20 minutes. Sprinkle the top with the chopped parsley, remaining lemon peel and paprika to taste.
Amount Per Serving (6 total)
- 249 cal
- 10.8 g
- 34 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (28)Rate This Recipe
"This had fabulous consistency and presentation. It was yummy too. I did leave out the lemon zest and added a clove of garlic, and sprinkled just a hint of nutmeg over top wit the sweet paprika and p..." See morearsely (which I did NOT use the whole amount the recipe calls for). The taste was well-rounded and good. I will say the sage was a bit over powering, and although I love sage, I will use less next time. Overall, though a good one. I'd also want a few more mushroom next time...but good, solid recipe!!"
"great accommpaniment, to any main course, works the best with beef or fowl, I think. Prepare it ahead, and just bake in the oven for 30 mins. ..." See more"
Creamed Peas and Onions
Easy Creamed Onions
Just swipe to see more like this.