Potato and Shiitake Mushroom Gratin22 Reviews
“Fall mushrooms give this dish a hearty flavor. Substitute vegetable broth for the chicken broth, and this makes a perfect meal for that vegetarian girlfriend your son is bringing to the holiday dinner. The rest of the family will love it too. Originally submitted to ThanksgivingRecipe.com.” - by Christine L.
Original recipe yields 12 servings
- Melt butter or margarine in a large pot over high heat. Add all mushrooms, and saute; until liquid evaporates, about 10 minutes. Add garlic, thyme, and rosemary; saute; 1 minute. Add chicken broth. Simmer until liquid evaporates, stirring often, about 18 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Cool.
- Position 1 rack in middle of the oven, and another rack in bottom third of oven. Preheat to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Butter a 13x9x2 inch baking dish.
- Peel potatoes, and cut into 1/8 inch slices. Arrange 1/3 of the potatoes in prepared dish, overlapping slightly. Top potatoes with half of the mushroom mixture. Sprinkle 1/3 of the cheese over mushrooms. Repeat layering 1/3 of the potatoes, remaining mushroom mixture, and 1/3 of the cheese. Arrange remaining potatoes atop cheese.
- Whisk half and half, cream, 1 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper in a large bowl to blend. Pour mixture over potatoes. Cover loosely with foil.
- Place baking dish on middle rack in oven, and a baking sheet on the bottom rack. Bake until potatoes are tender and liquid thickens, about 1 hour and 15 minutes. Uncover. Using metal spatula, press on potatoes to submerge. Sprinkle remaining cheese over potatoes. Bake until cheese melts and gratin is golden at edges, about 15 minutes longer. Let stand 10 minutes.
Amount Per Serving (12 total)
- 430 cal
- 29.5 g
- 29.4 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (22)Rate This Recipe
"Yum, yum, yum. I substituted baby bellas for the shitakes and it was so good. Tastes even better next day. Next time, i will bake the day before and reheat with a little more cream on top...." See more"
"I cut the recipe in half because I'm only cooking for two. I used dried shiitake mushrooms that I soaked in hot water for 30 mins, and fresh white mushrooms. I made exactly as written, except that I a..." See moredded a little butter after it was done. Very very good, will definitely make again."
"Really good! Really, really, really good!!! I didn't follow the recipe exactly. I used less potatoes and didn't measure out anything except one cup of broth. Also, I didn't have any cream so I sub..." See morestituted it for a can of cream of mushroom soup. I basically just threw everything together here and it was fantastic!!! Everyone loved it. I tossed a bit of bread crumbs on top near the end to make it crispy. YUM!!!"
Russian Mushroom and Potato Soup
Au Gratin Potatoes II
Just swipe to see more like this.