Roast Turkey With Tasty Chestnut Stuffing3 Reviews
“Simple but seriously yummy. Originally submitted to ThanksgivingRecipe.com.” - by Christine L.
Original recipe yields 9 servings
- With a sharp knife cut a cross on the flat side of each chestnut. Simmer, covered with water, in a saucepan for 5 minutes. Drain. While hot, remove the shells and inner brown skins. Cover with fresh water. Boil for 20 to 30 minutes until tender. Drain. Chop coarsely.
- Melt the butter or margarine in a saucepan. Add onions and celery, and cook until limp. Add bread crumbs and spices. Mix thoroughly. Mix in chestnuts. Salt to taste.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Remove neck and giblets: use for gravy if desired. Wash turkey with cold water, and dry. Rub salt and pepper into body cavities. Spoon stuffing into body cavities. Do not pack tightly. Close skin with skewers or twine, and tie drumsticks together. Place turkey on a roasting pan.
- Roast the turkey, uncovered, for 20 minutes per pound. Test after three hours for doneness with a fork to see if juices run clear, and with a thermometer for an internal temperature of 175 degrees F (80 degrees C). If the turkey gets too dark, place an aluminum foil "tent" over the breast. Remove from oven, place on platter, and allow the turkey to stand for 20 minutes before carving.
- Any extra stuffing can be baked in a covered casserole in the oven with the turkey for the last hour.
Amount Per Serving (15 total)
- 1214 cal
- 58.3 g
- 81.3 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (3)Rate This Recipe
"thankfully i tested this recipe before thanksgiving. it wasnt very flavorful, and it was kind of greasy. The chestnut stuffing was average... kind of bland. I will stick to my ususal turkey recipe, bu..." See moret i am glad i gave this one a shot because with some changes, it could be really good."
"this was a huge hit I did add fresh herbs instead of dried and was generous also cut the butter in 1/2 and added 2 cans of chicken broth also made my own croutons from 12 grain bread am sure I will be..." See more asked to make it again"
Maple Roast Turkey and Gravy
Turkey With Apricot-Water Chestnut Stuffing
Just swipe to see more like this.