Wild Mushroom Stuffing7 Reviews
“A delicious stuffing made primarily of wild mushrooms! The stuffing of the Northwest! Originally submitted to ThanksgivingRecipe.com. Button mushroom caps can be substituted if crimini mushrooms are not for sale in your local market.” - by Christine L.
Original recipe yields 14 - 16 servings
- Combine the 2 cups hot water and the porcini mushrooms, let stand until the mushrooms are soft. About 30 minutes. Drain, reserving soaking liquid. Squeeze porcini dry and chop coarsely.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Divide cubed bread between two baking sheets. Bake until beginning to brown. About 15 minutes. Cool then transfer to a very large bowl.
- Melt the butter in a heavy Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the leeks, shallots, crimini or button and shiitake mushrooms. Saute until golden and tender, about 15 minutes. Mix in the celery and porcini mushrooms and saute for another 5 minutes. Transfer mixture to the bowl with the bread crumbs. Mix in the parsley, hazelnuts, thyme and sage. Season with salt and pepper and stir in the beaten eggs.
- To Bake The Stuffing In A Turkey: Fill the main cavity with the stuffing. Combine the broth and 1/2 cup of the reserved porcini soaking liquid in a large glass measuring cup. Add enough broth mixture to the remaining stuffing to moisten. Spoon remaining stuffing into a buttered baking dish. Cover with buttered foil. Bake stuffing in dish alongside turkey until heated through, about 30 minutes. Uncover and bake until top is crisp, about 15 minutes.
- TO BAKE ALL STUFFING IN PAN: Preheat oven to 325 F. Butter 15x10x2-inch baking dish. Mix 3/4 cup reserved porcini soaking liquid and 3/4 cup broth into stuffing. Transfer stuffing to prepared dish. Cover with buttered foil and bake until heated through, about 1 hour. Uncover and bake until top is crisp, about 15 minutes.
Amount Per Serving (5 total)
- 969 cal
- 40.8 g
- 116.5 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (7)Rate This Recipe
"Used morell muchrooms and came out very nice..." See more"
"This is an awesome flavorful stuffing and goes really well with "Ma Lipo's Apricot-Glazed Turkey with Roasted Onion and Shallot Gravy" (also submitted by Christine L.)!! I make the Apricot-Glazed Tur..." See morekey with this stuffing every year for Thanksgiving since I discovered Christine's recipe on allrecipes.com back in 2001~Thanks, Christine! "
Ibby's Pumpkin Mushroom Stuffing
Just swipe to see more like this.