Roast Goose with Stuffing7 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 5 hr 10 min
- Ready In: 5 hr 40 min
“A great way to make goose. Similar to a turkey, but a much richer tasting bird. Incredibly good!” - by Christine L.
Original recipe yields 6 to 8 servings
- In a large bowl, combine bread, currants, apples, crumbled thyme, salt, pepper, and melted butter or margarine.
- Wash goose inside and out. Pat dry. Stuff, truss, and tie goose. Prick bird all over with fork.
- Heat oil in roasting pan on top of stove. Brown goose lightly on all sides, then drain off pan drippings. Set goose breast side up in roasting pan. Add a little water, cover, and roast at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for one hour. Discard fat from roasting pan.
- In a mixing bowl, combine chopped onion, carrot, celery, garlic, bay leaf, cloves, fresh thyme and marjoram, and sprinkle around the goose. Continue roasting uncovered for 20 to 25 minutes per pound, draining off fat at intervals. Add more water as required. Transfer cooked goose to platter, and keep warm by covering loosely with foil.
- Skim off remaining fat in pan, and heat drippings and vegetables on top of stove until mixture is reduced. Stir in white wine, tomato paste, and chicken broth. Simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, then strain gravy. If necessary, add a little cornstarch mixed with water to thicken gravy.
Amount Per Serving (6 total)
- 1169 cal
- 67.9 g
- 63.3 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (7)Rate This Recipe
"Best Christmas Goose ever, thanks...." See more"
"My first goose was terrific! Couldn't find currants, so dates were used. The stuffing is yummy, as was the gravy. Very easy recipe and impressive on the table. The goose took about an hour less tim..." See moree than expected. "
"Fantastic! This was only the second time I have made goose, and I was thrilled with the outcome! It was moist, and flavorfu1. I didn't choose to stuff the goose with the stuffing but stuffed the goose..." See more with apples instead (had a family member who couldn't have anything with gluten) I just baked the stuffing. It was all wonderful, goose, stuffing and gravy. I will make this again!"
Crown Roast of Pork with Sausage Stuffing
Grilled Goose with Prune Stuffing and Gravy
Just swipe to see more like this.