Mafioso Chocolate Cake19 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 50 min
- Ready In: 1 hr 20 min
“This is an old Italian family recipe for a cake we make at every big holiday. We actually lost the recipe for a while, and holidays just weren't the same. Then were overjoyed to recover it after a friend reminded us we had given it to her! We call it 'The Cake That Saved Christmas.' A chocolate delight any gangster would love.” - by The Pellettiere's
Original recipe yields 1 - 9 x 13 inch cake
- In a small bowl, mix together 1/2 cup cocoa and 3/4 cup boiling water; set aside.
- In another small bowl, dissolve baking soda in the sour cream by stirring them together.
- In a large bowl, cream the 1/2 cup butter and 2 cups sugar. Gradually mix in the sour cream mixture and cocoa mixture alternately with the dry ingredients. Beat until fluffy. Beat the egg whites until stiff and fold in the egg whites and 1 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla.
- Grease a 9 x 13 inch pan and pour the batter into it. Bake at 300 degrees F (150 degrees C) for 50 minutes. Frost with La Famiglia Chocolate Frosting (below).
- To Make La Famiglia Chocolate Frosting: Cream 6 tablespoons butter or margarine in a small bowl. Add 3/4 cup cocoa and confectioner's sugar alternately with milk; beat until spreading consistency. More or less milk can be used depending on the texture you want. Blend in the vanilla. This yields about 2 cups of frosting.
Amount Per Serving (18 total)
- 340 cal
- 12.7 g
- 56.6 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (19)Rate This Recipe
"BOY HOWDY! Was this ever one of the best KNOCK-YOUR-SOX-OFF chocolate cakes. Yum Yum! Light, fluffy, moist, and soooo chocolatey (I used 2/3c cocoa in cake). Many thanks to the Pellettieres for a grea..." See moret cake! It WOULD be a shame to lose this one!"
Warm Flourless Chocolate Cake with Caramel Sauce
The Best Chocolate Cake You Ever Ate
Just swipe to see more like this.