Alder Wood-Smoked Acorn Squash Soup8 Reviews
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 2 hr
- Ready In: 2 hr 30 min
“This is a very Pacific NW-American soup that once made, tastes better after a few days in the fridge. Make a lot because the smoking time is an hour to two. This recipe can be cut in half if need be.” - by The Kilted Hare
Original recipe yields 10 servings
- Prepare charcoal for smoking: Light and wait for the gray ash to cover at least 90 percent of the coals. Place the split wood on the coals and wait about 10 minutes before reducing the air flow to make it burn slower.
- Arrange the squash halves cut side down on the grilling surface and close the lid. Slow smoke for 2 hours or less if you prefer them less smoky - as long as they are tender.
- Place bacon in a skillet over medium heat. Cook until browned and crisp; remove and drain on paper towels.
- Once the squash are smoked, scoop the flesh out of the skins with a large spoon and transfer to a food processor. Process until smooth, adding butter and half of the water. Transfer to a soup pot and stir in the chicken broth and remaining water. Season with cumin, parsley and paprika; simmer over low heat for 40 minutes.
- To serve, ladle soup into bowls and top with a dollop of sour cream, a generous amount of crumbled bacon and cilantro. Dust lightly with cayenne pepper.
Amount Per Serving (10 total)
- 557 cal
- 48.7 g
- 26.7 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (8)Rate This Recipe
"This soup was amazing. Everyone in the house had second and thirds. I wouldn't tell my son what was in it until his third bowl. He doesn't do veggies. I shortened this process considerabley by cookin..." See moreg in the microwave for 3-4 minutes. Then split them and backed on cedar planks in the oven until soft. (soaked cedar planks) I also add 1 tsp. of liquid smoke to off set the non grilling. Make a double batch it goes fast."
"Delicious! I didnt make it exactly as the recipe called for but it turned out amazing anyway- I didnt smoke the squash-I baked it in the oven until it was soft and scooped it out after. I used turkey ..." See morebacon instead (it has a smokey flavour too it) cut the butter and sour cream in half too. I wish I had doubled the recipe as it did not last long!! I topped it off with a few toasted pumpkin seeds and yum yum yum!"
Butternut and Acorn Squash Soup
Curried Wild Rice and Squash Soup
Just swipe to see more like this.