Absolutely Delicious Green Bean Casserole from Scratch45 Reviews
- Prep: 20 min
- Cook: 15 min
- Ready In: 35 min
“No cans here! Fresh mushrooms, onion, and herbs with frozen green beans, sour cream, and cheddar cheese make this a delightfully tasty twist on the traditional casserole. I developed this recipe, longing for a 'no cans' version of the classic dish. I made this one year for my husband's family at Christmas time, and now they ask for it every year! My husband asks me to make it for dinner throughout the year.” - by Auriel
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Place green beans into a saucepan and fill with about 1/2 inch of water. Bring to a boil and steam until beans are tender but still bright green, about 5 minutes. Drain and toss with the mushrooms. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and parsley; cook and stir until onion is tender. Whisk in flour until blended, then mix in the lemon zest, salt, and pepper. Gradually whisk in milk, stirring constantly, so that no lumps form and then stir in sour cream. Warm over medium heat until the sauce begins to bubble. Dump in the green beans and mushrooms, stirring to coat.
- Remove from the heat and toss briefly with some of the Cheddar cheese and French fried onions, saving some of each to sprinkle over the top. Spoon into a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish and top with the reserved onions and cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the cheese melts, about 15 minutes.
Amount Per Serving (6 total)
- 337 cal
- 24.9 g
- 20.8 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (45)Rate This Recipe
"I loved the idea of fresh ingredients for this one. The end result was pretty good but something lacking in flavor. I'll play with it a little. I used about twice as much cheese as it called for. Ne..." See morext time I think I would add a little more salt too."
"I thought that this was the best green been casserole that I have ever had!! I think the people that did the other reviews must have done something wrong with the recipe because every person that ate..." See more this at Thanksgiving dinner raved!! The only thing i did different was use more cheese. "
My Favorite Green Bean Casserole
Cheesy Green Bean Casserole
Just swipe to see more like this.