Applesauce Walnut Bars2 Reviews
- Prep: 15 min
- Cook: 25 min
- Ready In: 40 min
“Very moist and chewy!” - by Marsha Dill
Original recipe yields 48 bars
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 13x9 inch baking pan.
- Melt chocolate in the microwave or in a bowl over a pan of simmering water. Stir frequently until smooth. Remove from heat, and let cool.
- Cream together the shortening and sugar until smooth. Beat in the eggs one at a time, stirring constantly until well blended. In a separate bowl, mix together applesauce, melted chocolate and vanilla. Add to the egg mixture, stirring until smooth.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt; gradually stir into the batter. Fold in chopped walnuts. Spread evenly into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of cake comes out clean. Let cool in pan before cutting.
Amount Per Serving (48 total)
- 67 cal
- 3.8 g
- 8.1 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (2)Rate This Recipe
"These bars are rather nondescript. They did not have enough chocolate or applesauce to take on either flavor. They also were rather cakey. I prefer chewier bars...." See more"
"I was trying for a lower sugar brownie and this worked with 3 oz of chocolate, 1 cup of sugar and 1/2 c whole wheat pastry flour and 1/2c regular flour with 1/2t baking powder. I baked in a 9x9 pan fo..." See morer 25-30 minutes. They were so good hot out of the oven. Could add chocolate chips for more chocolate punch."
Just swipe to see more like this.