Caramel Squares8 Reviews
- Prep: 15 min
- Cook: 20 min
- Ready In: 35 min
“Candy or cookie...you decide.” - by Daniel C.
Original recipe yields 2 dozen
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F(175 degrees C). Grease a 9 inch square baking pan.
- Mix shortening and cake mix until smooth. Stir in 1/3 cup of the milk and peanuts; mix well. Mixture will be crumbly.
- Press half of mixture into baking pan and bake for 8 minutes.
- Over low heat, melt caramels and remaining 1/3 cup evaporated milk in the top of a double boiler or in a glass bowl in the microwave. Stir frequently until melted and smooth. Sprinkle chocolate chips over warm dough. Spread the caramel mixture over the chips. Sprinkle the remaining cake mix mixture over the top.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes in the preheated oven, until the top is golden. Let cool before cutting into bars.
Amount Per Serving (24 total)
- 282 cal
- 14.6 g
- 36.3 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (8)Rate This Recipe
"I have made this recipe many times. I use margarine instead of shortening. On the top when you drop the rest of the cake mix try spreading with a spoon. Just push it down so it is quite spread arou..." See morend the top. Also just stir ingrediants until moistened. EXCELLENT"
"This recipe is similar to one that was called "Killer Brownies". When I make this recipe, I substitute Carmel ice cream topping for the carmels and milk mixture and it works great, plus it's easier t..." See moreo pour the carmel topping out of a jar than it is to unwrap all those carmels."
"I usually use butter instead of shortening and pecans instead of peanuts, plus an extra cup of chocolate chips. I make this in a 9/13 pan so I can have more of them. They are always SO good! Devil'..." See mores food cake can also be substituted for the German Chocolate if that's what you have on hand."
Chocolate Caramel Brownies
Caramel Fudge Squares
Just swipe to see more like this.