Chocolate Oatmeal Bars27 Reviews
“Rich bars that are easy to make and a hit with everyone.” - by Laria Tabul
Original recipe yields 3 dozen
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 inch square baking pan.
- To prepare Filling: In a heavy pot, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter and chocolate chips. Add the evaporated milk and 1/4 cup of the white sugar. Bring to a rolling boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in nuts and cool.
- To prepare cookie base: Cream 1 1/2 cups of the butter and the brown sugar together. Add the vanilla and the egg, and beat until light and fluffy.
- Add the flour, baking soda, and 1 3/4 cups of the oats and blend well.
- Press 2/3 of this mixture into the bottom of the greased pan. Spread the cooled filling on top of the cookie crust.
- Mix the remaining 1/4 cup of oats with the remainder of the cookie base, and crumble over the filling. Bake for 25-30 minutes.
Amount Per Serving (18 total)
- 353 cal
- 23.2 g
- 34.8 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (27)Rate This Recipe
"My mom made these all the time growing up, and they are my favorite however the recipe here is a little off. Use Sweetened and Condensed milk not evaporated milk. Also, save some of the crust to spr..." See moreinkle on the top and bake the crust for about 15 minutes before adding the rest to it, that makes it more of a bar base and not so mushy!"
"The proportions are totally wrong and leave you with a soupy mess, not bars. Additionally, condensed milk and evaporated milk are TWO DIFFERENT things. Condensed works, evaporated doesn't. You get ..." See morethe tard award for writing this so totally wrong recipe."
"This recipe turns out perfectly even with evaporated milk in a 9x13 pan. I usually double the recipe and use a 16x12x1 in. cookie sheet. I also leave out the walnuts b/c of personal preference. Gr..." See moreanted the filling can be a little tedious(constant stirring) but its minimal effort for an incredibly tasty bar. I HAVE to bring these to every event I attend or risk being shunned by friends and family alike!"
Chewy Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
Just swipe to see more like this.