Oatmeal Cookie Bars14 Reviews
“These bars taste just like oatmeal cookies!” - by Suzette Jensten
Original recipe yields 4 dozen
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a 9x13 inch pan.
- To make Filling: In a saucepan over low heat, combine dates, water, white sugar, and lemon juice. Heat for about 8 minutes, or until thick. Set aside to let cool.
- To make Pastry: In a large bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, oats and salt. Mix until well blended. Add in shortening until mixture forms into coarse crumbs.
- Press half of pastry mix into pan. Cover with date mixture and spread remaining pastry mix over the top.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown. Let cool on wire rack before cutting.
Amount Per Serving (48 total)
- 103 cal
- 3.4 g
- 18.1 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (14)Rate This Recipe
"I gave this five stars in that it is a quite versatile recipe. I have boiled up raisins in half water and half lemon juice. I added 1/2 tablespoon corntarch mixed with 2 tablespoons of water to the fr..." See moreuit, to thicken it. I have also used dried apricots and/or an assortment of dried fruits that I put in the food processor to chop up. I boiled these in orange juice (no water). In the oatmeal mixture, I added 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves, 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon and 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg, just to give it a little more flavor. Another filling is Cranraisins and dried apples boiled in apple juice. I am sure that others will come up with many other varitions. "
"This was great. My husband asks for them on a weekly basis. One note, press down slightly on the top layer of oatmeal...tastes better...." See more"
"These Oatmeal Cookie Bars are awesome! I made a few substitutions: I didn't have dates so I used raisins (but I'm going to make sure I have dates on hand the next time I make these); I replaced the w..." See morehite sugar with Splenda and the brown sugar with Splenda brown sugar blend to cut down on some of the sugar and calories; I used butter instead of shortening. I also added a teaspoon of ground cinnamon to the pastry and half a teaspoon to the filling. The resulting bars were so buttery and cinnamony good it was hard to stop eating them. "
Delicious Raspberry Oatmeal Cookie Bars
Apple Oatmeal Bars
Just swipe to see more like this.