“These nut-sized cookies are spiced with ginger, cinnamon, cardamom, and pepper. They are called Pepperkaker, in Norway.” - by Kristi
Original recipe yields 16 dozen
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine dry ingredients and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat butter and sugar together until light. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Stir in dry ingredients 1/2 cup at a time. Add almonds, if desired.
- Roll into one inch balls and arrange 1 inch apart on ungreased baking sheet. Bake 11 to 14 minutes.
- Cool and store in airtight containers for 3 days to mellow flavors.
Amount Per Serving (96 total)
- 51 cal
- 2.2 g
- 7.1 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (18)Rate This Recipe
"I love these cookies. They remind me of my grandmother's cookies from Germany. I make the recipe exactly as is BUT after I pull them from the oven I put them in a bag of powdered sugar and coat them..." See more. Then I let them sit for 3 - 5 days. Sometimes I coat them again with powdered sugar before serving."
"My favorite of the Pfeffernusse recipes... it tastes like the ones my grandmother makes. I did both a normal batch, and following another reviewer's suggestion, a batch with double the spices (except ..." See morepepper). I like it better with the stronger spices and flavors. "
German Cut-Out Cookies
Just swipe to see more like this.