Lamington Bars1 Reviews
“Australia's famous Lamingtons are squares of sponge cake that are first dipped in chocolate glaze and then in coconut. This cookie version's inside is denser and loaded with toasted almonds.” - by Judy Farris
Original recipe yields 4 dozen
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease 10 X 15 inch jelly roll pan. Place a 22 inch length of waxed paper lengthwise in pan. Smooth paper so it conforms to pan, allowing excess to hang over ends of pan. Butter the waxed paper.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Stir in flour mixture 1/2 cup at a time, blending well after each addition. Stir in chopped nuts. Spread evenly in prepared pan.
- Bake 10 - 15 minutes, or just until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Holding ends of waxed paper, lift cookie base out of pan and place on rack. Cool.
- To prepare Glaze: In a large bowl, whisk together powered sugar and cocoa until no lumps remain. Add vanilla and 4 tablespoons milk. Add enough of the remaining milk to make a smooth, creamy glaze of medium consistency.
- Line a large baking sheet with waxed paper. Place coconut on a large plate. Cut cookie base in 48 (1 1/4 X 2 1/2 inch) strips.
- Use a fork to spear cookie rectangles; dip into chocolate glaze, allowing excess to drip back into bowl. Place chocolate dipped cookie on plate of coconut; use 2 forks to turn cookie so that all sides are coated. Place on prepared baking sheet and refrigerate until glaze is set. Store in airtight container at room temperature one week; freeze for longer storage.
Amount Per Serving (24 total)
- 360 cal
- 14.9 g
- 55.3 g
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reviews (1)Rate This Recipe
"great recipe all the family loved them.i left out the almonds.family member with nut alergies.i made a second batch and dipped them in seedless strawberry jam and they where great too.try this as an a..." See morelternative to chocolate.sponge mix very moist and delicious.i use this all the time either with chocolate or jam."
Just swipe to see more like this.